Ever wondered how married couples manage to stay together till their twentieth or even sixtieth wedding anniversary? Though the words ‘till death do us part’ are absent from many marriage ceremonies nowadays, there are those couples who strongly believe in them. They’re the ones who take the good with the bad. So, today we’re sharing some marriage advice from these long-time couples who truly are in it for the long haul.
Stay Together Forever: Marriage Advice from Long-time Couples
Life isn’t always a bed of roses, but long-time married couples are happy to make the best of things. We’re not saying that you should remain married if you are truly unhappy, or in a dangerous situation. But rather that you can improve your chances of a happy marriage by following marriage advice from those who’ve done the hard yards (and know what they're talking about!).
- Ask your spouse every day, “Can I help?” Resentment builds when one person feels they always need to ask the other to help them.
- Keep your own hobbies. You are different people, so why not do different things.
- Remain united against your kids. Don’t let them split you by playing one against the other.
- Share the household chores evenly.
- Do things for your spouse because it makes you feel good; not because you want something in return.
- Keep communication between you both open and honest.
- Give each other the privacy you need – don’t watch them go to the toilet!
- Keep up the romance you enjoyed when dating one another. It’s the little things that matter, such as holding hands, blowing kisses to each other etc.
- Be sure to remain physical with each other, and not just in the bedroom! Hold hands and snuggle on the sofa.
- Be your spouse’s biggest cheerleader and stand behind their (good) choices.
- Take time apart when you need it. Boys and girls’ weekends away are great.
- Big beds are your friend! Sleeping in a double gets old really quickly!
- Value your spouse’s needs, passions, interests and goals, just as you would your own.
- Believe in your relationship; you will be the happiest couple, have an amazing marriage and love each other forever. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Say thank you for every little thing your spouse does for you. Showing your gratitude is such a beautiful thing to do.
- Set mutual goals and work together to achieve them.
Being married isn’t a walk in the park, but hopefully by following some of the marriage advice given by long-term couples, your marriage will be as smooth sailing as possible. Read some more of our articles in our Marriage Advice & Tips section for more insights.